The Executive Board of the Oregon School Activities Association approved state championship calendars Monday for the next two school years, according to a meeting summary released Thursday.
Siuslaw's band, cheerleading, choir, cross country, football, soccer and volleyball teams begin practice Monday, Aug. 19, for the coming fall season.
The first winter practice for boys and girls basketball, swimming and wrestling is Monday, Aug. 18.
And the first spring practice for baseball and softball is Monday, Feb. 17, and for track and field is Monday, March 2.
Championship events for school year 2019-20, with Siuslaw activities (coach), date, site:
- Band (Chris Rowbotham), May 13, Oregon State University, Corvallis (no schedule available)
- Baseball (Tom Shinn), June 6, Volcanoes Stadium, Keizer (only 4 games confirmed as of May 9, including doubleheader March 19 at Sutherlin)
- Basketball (Dylan Perry for boys, Chad Smith for girls), quarterfinals-finals March 12-14, Forest Grove High School and Pacific University (season opener at home Dec. 4 against Newport, girls at 5:45 p.m., boys at 7:15 p.m.)
- Cheerleading (Teri Straley), Feb. 15, Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Portland (no schedule available)
- Choir (Bruce Morganti), May 8, Oregon State University, Corvallis (no schedule available)
- Cross country (Chris Johnson), Nov. 9, Lane Community College, Eugene (evolving schedule online at athletic.net)
- Football (Chad Smith), Nov. 30, site to be determined (Vikings open their season Sept. 6 at Elmira, with home opener Sept. 20 against Newport)
- Soccer (Nyra Campbell/Londi Tomaro), no playoffs, JV team only (technically a boys team that will include girls, with season opener Sept. 6 at Waldport JV and only home match Oct. 12 against Waldport JV at Miller Park)
- Softball (Sean O'Mara), June 6, University of Oregon, Eugene (Lady Vikings have 17 dates scheduled for 2020, including season-opening doubleheader March 19 at home against Sutherlin)
- Swimming (Guy Marchione, Reedsport), Feb. 21-22, site to be determined (the co-op team currently has one athlete from Siuslaw)
- Track and field (Chris Johnson), championship dates, site to be determined (no schedule available)
- Volleyball (Jon Hornung), quarterfinals-finals, Nov. 8-9, Forest Grove High School (Lady Vikings have 18 matches scheduled for 17 dates, with season opener Aug. 29 at North Bend and home opener Aug. 30 against Douglas)
- Wrestling (Neil Wartnik), first round-finals Feb. 28-29, Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Portland (no schedule available)
A copy of the eight-page summary is available online at http://www.osaa.org/docs/board/20190506summary.pdf.
The summary acknowledged receiving an update from the Football Ad Hoc Committee, but did not elaborate. Siuslaw is one of several schools playing down a classification, and may be allowed to play down two.
The ad hoc committee had a scheduled April 29 meeting, but no agenda or summary has been released.
The Executive Board next meets July 22-24 at Eagle Crest Resort in Redmond.