The Siuslaw Vikings track and field team will get an early indicator of success with the 3,000-meter race Friday at the Sky-Em District Championships in Eugene.
The boys line up at 11 a.m. and the girls go off at 11:20 a.m. Friday at the Marist Catholic track.
Lady Vikings junior Hannah Rannow will be favored, boasting the league's top time at 800 meters, 1,500 meters and 3,000 meters.
She will run the 800 and 3,000 at district.
"Can't run all three," Siuslaw coach Chris Johnson said.
But she can squeeze in a leg with the 4x400 relay team, joining senior Naomi Shoji and sophomores Brea Blankenship and Gracie Freudenthal on the league's No. 1 unit.
Juniors Anne Warnik and Chloe Madden also will be competing in the girls 3,000, while the boys have freshman Chad Hughes and juniors Jonah Jarman and Brendon Jensen in the boys 3,000.
Sophomore Andrea Osbon is ranked No. 1 in the girls shot put and discus, Freudenthal No. 1 in the 300-meter hurdles and No. 2 in the 100 hurdles and senior Alyssa Richards has the best girls javelin throw of those entered in the event.
Richards will compete in her event Friday, then hurry back to Florence for Lady Vikings' softball doubleheader with Marshfield. Richards will be among six seniors honored prior to the first pitch at 3 p.m.
Richards isn't the only athlete pulling double duty. Vikings baseball player Jared Northrop, a junior, will play a baseball doubleheader Friday and compete in the boys 1,500 Saturday.
Sophomore Ryan Jennings is No. 1 in the 300 hurdles for the boys, while junior Ryan Rendon-Padilla and sophomore Skyler Loomis are 1-2 in the boys javelin.
The top two in each event advance to the Class 4A state championships May 17-18 at Mt. Hood Community College in Gresham.
Admission at the district meet is $5 for adults and $4 for students.
Meet director is Chase Wells of Marist Catholic and meet referee is Coos Bay World sports editor John Gunther.
SIUSLAW VIKINGS DISTRICT ENTRIES
- 100 meters — Hector Garcia, Isaiah Jones, Jason Rawlins, prelims 11:55 a.m. Friday, final 12:50 p.m. Saturday
- 200 — Hector Garcia, Isaiah Jones, Jason Rawlins, prelims 2:25 p.m. Friday, final 1:50 p.m. Saturday
- 400 — Ryan Jennings, Ricky Loza-Sanchez, James Smith, prelims 12:25 p.m. Friday, final 1:05 p.m. Saturday
- 800 — Jaxson Jensen, Kiger Johnson, Ricky Loza-Sanchez, prelims 1:50 p.m. Friday, final 1:35 p.m. Saturday
- 1,500 — Brendon Jensen, Jaxson Jensen, Jared Northrop, no prelims, final 12:30 p.m. Saturday
- 3,000 — Jonah Jarman, Brendon Jensen, Chad Hughes, no prelims, final 11:20 a.m. Friday
- 110 hurdles — none
- 300 hurdles — Ryan Jennings, Skyler Loomis, prelims 3:05 p.m. Friday, final 2:10 p.m. Saturday
- 4x100 relay — none
- 4x400 relay — Ryan Jennings, Kiger Johnson, Jaxson Jensen, Brendon Jensen, no prelims, final 2:40 p.m. Saturday
- Shot put — Matthew Horillo, Skyler Loomis, Christian Newlan, flights 12:30 p.m., final 1:30 p.m. Saturday
- Discus — Skyler Loomis, Liam McClellan, Ryan Rendon-Padilla, flights 11 a.m., final noon Friday
- Javelin — Rhys Fleming, Skyler Loomis, Ryan Rendon-Padilla, flights 1 p.m., final 2 p.m. Friday
- High jump — none
- Pole vault — Camp, LaCouture, Kayden Lane, no flights, final 11 a.m. Friday
- Long jump — Isaiah Jones, Camp LaCouture, Braydon Thornton, flights 11 a.m., final noon Friday
- Triple jump — Isaiah Jones, Braydon Thornton, prelims 12:30 p.m., final 1:30 p.m. Saturday
- 100 meters — Arrianna Brown, Laney Rodriguez, prelims 11:40 a.m. Friday, final 12:45 p.m. Saturday
- 200 — Arrianna Brown, Laney Rodriguez, Julia Shoji, prelims 2:10 p.m. Friday, final 1:45 p.m. Saturday
- 400 — Arrianna Brown, Julia Shoji, Naomi Shoji, prelims 12:10 p.m. Friday, final 1 p.m. Saturday
- 800 — Brea Blankenship, Hannah Rannow, Naomi Shoji, prelims 1:30 p.m. Friday, final 1:30 p.m. Saturday
- 1,500 — Rylee Colton, Chloe Madden, Anne Wartnik, no prelims, final 12:15 p.m. Saturday
- 3,000 — Chloe Madden, Hannah Rannow, Anne Wartnik, no prelims, final 11 a.m. Friday
- 100 hurdles — Gracie Freudenthal, Davina Galli, prelims 12:50 p.m. Friday, final 1:15 p.m. Saturday
- 300 hurdles — Gracie Freudenthal, Davina Galli, prelims 2:45 p.m. Friday, final 2 p.m. Saturday
- 4x100 relay — Julia Shoji, Arrianna Brown, Bryn Clement, Davina Galli, no prelims, final noon Saturday
- 4x400 relay — Naomi Shoji, Hannah Rannow, Brea Blankenship, Gracie Freudenthal, no prelims, final 2:25 p.m. Saturday
- Shot put — Hailie Edgerly, Andrea Osbon, Madison Reynolds, flights 11 a.m., final noon Saturday
- Discus — Hailie Edgerly, Andrea Osbon, Madison Reynolds, flights 1 p.m., final 2 p.m. Friday
- Javelin — Maisie Jones, Andrea Osbon, Alyssa Richards, flights 11 a.m., final noon Friday
- High jump — Maisie Jones, Winnie Zhen, no prelims, final 12:30 p.m. Saturday
- Pole vault — Bryn Clement, Davina Galli, Winnie Zhen, final 1 p.m. Friday
- Long jump — Brooklyn Cahoon, Bryn Clement, Gracie Perkins, Julia Shoji, flights 1 p.m., final 2 p.m. Friday
- Triple jump — Brooklyn Cahoon, Bryn Clement, flights 11 a.m., final noon Saturday